I feel like God is saying “No.” Trying to hold on to faith. Trying to find some… Hard sometimes. But not giving up.
“Write about the emotions you fear the most.”
― Laurie Halse Anderson
That ought to get your heart pumping, eh?
Well, best laid plans… I was all gung ho about this new project and I still am, it’s just that I’ve had no free time. I’m taking 5 minutes just to post to my blog. I apologize again for not blogging regularly. I miss y’all. I miss reading your blogs. I miss writing. I miss learning how to edit video. I had taken about an hour to learn editing and then work start piling up. Now, I have work to keep me busy every day at least through Monday (yes, including the weekend). Gotta pay the bills. I only accept enough work to reach a certain monetary gain to pay what bills I have to pay. I have to carve out time to carve that pumpkin with Hallie today and get groceries but free time other than that looks pretty bleak. However, if things pick up with one of my certain contracts (the better paying one), I will not have to work as many hours with this other one and will have some free time to devote to learn video editing and then go talk to some peeps, and maybe read some blogs and maybe participate in Nano! Yes! There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope it’s not a train. Hey, at least I got more sleep. About 9 to 5. Wow! 8 hours! Now, that’s what I’m talkin’ about!
“For it would seem – her case proved it – that we write, not with the fingers, but with the whole person. The nerve which controls the pen winds itself about every fibre of our being, threads the heart, pierces the liver.”
― Virginia Woolf, Orlando
Ain’t that the truth.
Please forgive me for not posting daily as I had been making a practice of for a while. Work has me with strained eyes and fingers around the clock. I worked all day yesterday from about 4am till midnight, aside from taking Hallie to school, picking her up and spending about 2 hours with her, supper and all that. I’ve had so much on my plate.
I have not been able to play with the whole YouTube video thing. I have made a tiny bit of progress. I taped a practice video and I’ve been meddling with the editing software but not enough time put in to really even mention.
So perhaps when I get either a better paying contract with less hours (I’d prefer one of the contracts I presently have to give me more work as she pays better for less hours) or God sends me a miracle, I’ll have more time to spend on this, continue learning how to edit, then go out for an hour or two, God willing, and start the interviews. I’m still stoked about this project. I’m just tired. Really tired. Plus, I need to figure out time issues. Too much time working just to make ends meet right now doesn’t lend much freedom to this new video adventure, nor does it lend to the upcoming Nano. I’m pumped. Really, I am. Just, at the moment, I’m trying to keep my eyes open and about to start another work project that’s due tomorrow morning. Actually, I have 4 that are due at 10am. So, I’ll get to it.
Love and hugs to you and please whisper up a prayer for my sanity, sleep and some free time to devote to this new project, as well as Nano. Thank ya!! I wish y’all well!
1) Figure out what you are going to write about. You must have some idea.
2) If you are going to continue a work in progress (against the rules but who cares), it might be good to revise what you already have and if you feel that may take too much time, just at least read over what you already have so you’ll know from where you need to start on Nov 1.
3) Make a grocery list of one-handed foods and snacks so you can write while you eat. We live on granola bars around here. Any kind of snack bar, nabs/crackers are good, nuts, any sort of quickie snacks that can aid the rumbly in your tumbly without having to really get up and go fix something. Keep a ziplog bag or shoebox full of these snacks at your desk or wherever it is that you write. If you are a coffee drinker, or tea, or wine, or whatever, make sure you are stocked up. I am all three plus maybe a glass of chocolate milk on the side sometimes. 😉 Make casseroles on Halloween. Make stew or big batches of hearty soup. Put servings of these in containers for your family, so they can heat up themselves and eat and you can do the same. Put some of these servings in the freezer so there’s plenty of food for the next 30 days. This way, you can spend your time working and writing, rather than cooking and cleaning.
4) Put your loving, caring family members to work cleaning the kitchen. There’s nothing wrong with enlisting the help of your family members to take on more responsibility during the month of November. Granted, Thanksgiving may be a bit different. Ugh!
5) Make a writing schedule. So much to do in November! Trying out different recipes so you’ll know for sure what you want to fix on the big day, cooking for the big day, cleaning for the big day, NaNoWriMo, work for pay, all the extra groceries you need to buy for Nano and for Thanksgiving, buying a fresh Christmas tree, decorating said tree, prepping for Christmas decor, digging out all those decorations and music and movies, etc. for the Christmas season, and all of the other 101 projects we each have going on in our lives. Make a small snippet of time to actually do your writing. Whether it be carving out 2 hours (or however long it takes you to write 2,000 words in a day) from 2 to 4am or from midnight till 2am, get it done. If it’s important to you, you’ll make the time.
6) If you know what you’re writing, go ahead and sketch out some idea of an outline, characters, plotting, twists, turns, chaos, all the ins and outs of what you want to go into your story. Or, if you are a pantser (I’m a little bit of both but mostly a pantser when it comes to writing), just fly by the seat of your pants. Soar on the wings that carry you through. It’s pretty fun and free to write like this.
7) Finally, and most importantly, get ready to free your imagination. Set your imagination on the breeze and let it carry you to wherever it may go.
8) Just be sure to write roughly 2,000 words per day from Nov 1 through Nov 30. That way, you’ll finish a little bit ahead of time and you don’t have to stress about the deadline.
Did I leave anything out? I’ll be checking in from time to time between work, Nano and my new Meaning of Lifers project. Gotta check in and see how y’all are doing! Not sure when writing mates is open. I know at camp, they have cabins and you can add friends to your cabin and chat about writing and just chat about anything. Great way to make new friends!!! I still talk to a couple of those friends on Facebook. Anywho, if anyone has anything to add or wants to share their lists for getting ready for Nano, give me a shout out and I’ll link you and/or just comment me below.
Y’all have a groovilicious day, have a fun and productive weekend or just chill and I’ll talk to you soon. Love ya! Be well! *smooch*
Anybody know how to delete categories? I have wayyyy too many categories and some of those I’ve not used in over a year, probably. How do I delete some of those? I have no idea….
First off, allow me to apologize for not posting regularly. As you probably know, I’ve been overloaded with work contracts so not much time for sleep lately, much less blogging. I’ve been working with my camera and memory cards to see how long I can record footage for my upcoming project. I’m working on the name.
I started off with Meaning of Life and then I did a search and it was already taken. It’s not like an email address where it’ll tell you, “Sorry, already taken. Choose another one.” Nope, you can have 10 YouTube titles/names that are all Meaning Of Life as long as your username is different, which makes no sense to me. So, then I did a search for Meaning of Lifers (since it’s about the peeps anyway) and that was available so I changed it. I had to make sure I could get the lonely title, so that was step 1. I can actually change it once or twice more within 90 days if I choose. I’m thinking of Meaning Of Life Project (molp) or Meaning of Life Initiative (moli) or just keeping it Meaning of Lifers. You can’t find it though until I upload my first video unless I list the link. It doesn’t show up in search until it receives a ranking, obviously.
Now, I’ve filmed my first practice interview and I’ll be playing with my editing software and then maybe, just maybe, depending how long it takes me to initially figure out how to edit the “movie,” I’ll be ready to go out and talk to real people Monday or Tuesday! Ack!!! Still got to do a couple of things this weekend, and I pray I get time, as I still have a ****load of work for pay I have to do. I need to check out release clauses I need to put in a paper for them to sign (stuff like “I give you permission to use and publish this footage,” “I expect no compensation for this footage,” blah, blah, blah, stuff like that.), organize my few questions I have for them, figure out how much footage I need from them (since I’m gonna edit a lot of space out to shrink it down to about a 5 minute space, roughly), so just a few small things to do first.
It’s getting close!!!! I’m soooo nervous! It’s a nervous, anxious, excited, happy energy. Weird, right? Something new. Approaching strangers. Actually talking to people and not hiding behind written words but spoken ones. I think I may hurl. At least I get to hide a smidgen behind the camera and will be editing my voice out of the “movie,” so that’s comforting.
So Monday or Tuesday (with a little help from my Friends — talking to You, God, and You, Jesus, and all you helpful angels and sweet spirits), I could be uploading my first YouTube video ever, or first video of any kind (well, online anyway). Oh my! I have butterflies in my tum just talking about it. If you are praying people, and I know most of you are, please offer up a prayer on my behalf that I get time to do all this stuff and do well and get to interview, edit and upload by Monday or Tuesday? Pleeeeaaasssse? I still cannot believe I’m doing this.
Just a few months ago, I had the vision and I thought it was just a passing dream, something that would be fun to do (it was actually driving all over the U.S. talking to people) and I even thought it would be a great Kickstarter project (kickstarter.com) but then I thought, ‘Oh, then I’d have to film myself, talking to the camera (the people) and telling them why I needed money for this project and I’m really not comfortable being in front of any camera, much less asking people for money,’ so I brushed the dream aside.
I couldn’t stop thinking about it and what a great idea I thought it would be to talk to all these interesting people, get outside my comfort zone and just do it. Besides, it’s not about me. It’s about them and their stories, their views, their meaning for life.
I have a really, really, really bad habit of thinking too much. Way, way too much. I think good ideas away. I let all the hard stuff and negative stuff override the fun, happy, excited energy. I think of all the ways it would be impossible or too hard to do something.
I have a new motto. “Don’t think. Just do.” What an invigorating way to live!!!! Who am I? I don’t think I even know myself anymore. Oh well. I just won’t think. I’ll do. 😉
I think I’ve spoken about a vlog idea I had in a previous post or two. Perhaps not. But I know I’ve talked about getting outside my comfort zone and I’ve taken a bit of action on this. I’m about to take some more. Yes, I’m going to start a vlog. Or attempt to anyway, with the participation of strangers.
So, I need a few things first…
If you know anything about vlogging, about editing videos, about how to approach strangers and interview them, please send me in that direction.
And just to get me set on which particular questions to ask, what would YOU feel comfortable answering and sharing with the world?
1.) What is the meaning of life, for you?
2.) (especially for youth but for everyone) What do you hope to do/accomplish in your life? (i.e. go to college, get married, have a family, be a doctor, be a writer, climb a mountain, live in Paris, be a Nobel Prize winner, or anything that comes to mind.)
3.) What does love mean, to you? (i.e. for a significant other, for how you wish to be loved, friendship, family or just in general; again, anything that comes to mind)
What other questions do you feel would be thought provoking that you wouldn’t actually mind sharing with the world?
My thoughts on this are to ask questions and not so much give them direction with their answers but for them to speak their truth from their own mind and thoughts, without judgment.
Do you have anything about your personal story that you wouldn’t mind sharing?
If I get enough people to participate, I will learn how to establish a YouTube channel as well as post on my blog, either here, or begin a new one.
I have several purposes for wanting to produce this vlog. First off, it came to me in a vision. I daydream a lot and this came to me while driving, if I remember right. To go up and speak to just anybody and ask them questions would definitely be taking a great leap outside my comfort zone as I’m halfway terrified of people, because I’ve faced off with several crazies in my life, and I halfway love people, because certain ones restore my faith in humanity on a daily basis (just yesterday, the lady in front of us paid for our breakfast, so we passed it on). People surprise me. Everyone has a story. I feel if we all share our stories with the world, it makes the planet feel a bit smaller. When we hear the stories of others, it puts our own lives in perspective, makes us realize how blessed we are, makes us feel not so alone, makes us sympathetic to others’ plights and increases our capacity to love and reach out to those who need us, whether it’s a smile, a handshake, or a conversation. No matter how you slice it, we all need people. We all need each other. And we can argue this point till we’re blue in the face but I think, deep down, you know it’s true.
I also want this to be a G-rated vlog, so that it can easily be viewed by young and old, all races and religions (or lack thereof). So if, in fact, I receive profanity on the video, it would be edited/bleeped out (with their knowledge and permission).
Any thoughts? Advice?